Tuesday 28 May 2013

No.5 All Time Low: Nothing Personal- So Indie it's disgusting

I despise the word Indie. I'm not really sure what it means, not that anyone really does since there's more meanings for it than the number of songs that I've listened to in my life.... There's a lot OK! Urban dictionary defines it as  An obscure form of rock which you only learn about from someone slightly more hip than yourself. It is a group renowned for their elitism, peculiar clothing but most of all, their unique music. Indeed, it it one of the few genres to have spanned the generations with their standing and more importantly their sound still intact since the term Indie was adopted in the 80's from "Independent artists". Nowadays Indie is more of a description rather than a status but that doesn't concern me.

What does is the album "Nothing Personal" by Indie Punk/Pop group All Time Low which I recently discovered after watching them support Green Day at a concert. Released in 2009, this energizing album saw the quartet shoot to the top of the Alternative scene in the UK and US. The album expresses love, heartbreak and teen-spirit in a mass of melodic guitar and soft vocals from Alex Gaskarth all conforming to create a perfectly engineered sound. All Time Low are unique in there versatility despite remaining true to the Emo-Indie genre with hit singles Weightless and Break your little heart a stark contrast to the sobering tone of Therapy. Their smart acoustic performances boosted their popularity within the US and they are now beginning to grow in stature throughout Europe. They are a major up and coming band in world music let alone the genre so have a gander at some of their stuff on YouTube.

So if I like this music, what does that make me.... an Indian? If so, I'll happily declare myself so.

Sorry I haven't posted for such a long time, I've had exams and been generally busy. I will resume more regular posting from now onwards. safe  

No comments:

Post a Comment